- Bring Mediterranean elegance to your home with fabulous Italian Cypress trees.
- Incredibly stylish, tall and slender, perfect for creating dramatic height in borders and stunning in pots!
- Very easy to grow, with dense foliage and a naturally vertical form requiring just light, regular clipping to maintain their shape.
- Completely hardy and evergreen, happy in full sun and well-drained soil.
- Supplied as a pair of established trees, 80-100 cm (3 ft) tall in 14 cm pots, ready to plant, reaching a height of 10 m (33 ft) and width of 1.5 m (5 ft) in 20 years.
If you’ve ever travelled around the Mediterranean, especially the south and Italy, you will have seen Italian Cypress trees, Cupressus sempervirens dotted around the hills and in formal gardens. Instantly recognisable for their tall, slender form, they’re breathtaking and wonderfully elegant.
Not to be confused with Leylandii, to which they’re related, Italian Cypress have a naturally narrow and dense growth habit, growing arrow straight. These trees are completely hardy in the UK and evergreen, so they’ll look magnificent all year round. Preferring a sunny location and well drained soil, they’re drought tolerant and easy to look after, and reasonably fast growing.
Although the branches of Cupressus sempervirens will grow vertically without training, these trees will benefit from regular clipping, in the same way as most conifers. The more they’re clipped, the tighter and denser they’ll become. This also reduces the risk of any branches falling out of shape, especially if it snows. Any branches that do bend out of shape can be pruned out or tied back into position.
Italian Cypress trees will bring a classic Mediterranean look to your garden. They’re spectacular in groups and in borders, adding height but without taking up too much growing space, and they look splendid growing in large pots on a terrace or either side of a door or gate. These graceful beauties will always draw admiring glances, and they get better with age!
Supplied as a pair of established trees, 80-100 cm (3 ft) tall in 14 cm pots, ready to plant, reaching a height of 10 m (33 ft) and width of 1.5 m (5 ft) in 20 years.
What Is Supplied
- Plant your cypress trees where they can get full sun and in well-drained soil. If using a container, a soil based potting compost is ideal.
- Dig a planting hole larger than the root ball of the cypress tree and add organic matter into the hole. We recommend the use of mycorrhizal fungi when planting to help the roots develop.
- Place the tree into the hole and backfill, ensuring that the stem is at the same level as when it was in the pot.
- Press the soil firmly around the base of the tree’s trunk.
- Water thoroughly. You need to water the tree regularly for the first two growing seasons. Once established, this tree is drought tolerant. Container plants will need regular watering.
- After first planting, mulch with 2-3 inches of organic matter to retain moisture in the soil and prevent competition from weeds.
- Check for any damaged or dead growth and prune out as necessary. New growth will soon fill the gap.
- Trim lightly several times a year to create the densest foliage and the neatest shape.